Sunday, February 4, 2018

Hey guys Biertrinker here again. By the way my name is actually Aaron. Okay so, I’d like to take this blog post to talk about Salzburg and my final days in Vienna, which include a lovely opera, Mozart’s birth home, and a great 7 hour trip to the hospital! Let’s do this.

Well, you might be wondering about that last part. It’s very interesting, but let’s talk about the other stuff first, keep all of you waiting, more fun that way. Anyway, Salzburg was very interesting. A lot like Leipzig it was relatively small, and you could figure your way through everything as long as you walked in a straight line. I’d just like to say and state here that Salzburg has the single best Döner Kebap in Europe. That’s a complete factual opinion. Salzburg also has other things, such as Mozart’s birth place. Mozart was not a very big fan of Salzburg, as I heard many a times. I don’t really relate because my hometown is pretty cool so I guess me and the child prodigy are different in that sense. Mozart’s house was pretty interesting, although it was nothing compared to the opera we saw. 

After watching the opera, my reviews on it were a lot different than others. I knew a lot about this opera, due to the fact I did my pre-departure presentation on it, or at least I thought I knew what it was about. Throughout the opera, I could comfortably answer people’s questions about the synopsis of the performance and acts, but the style of the opera really took everyone for a trip. It was nothing I had ever seen before, 100% different than any other opera I had previously seen. The opera we were seeing had a much more modern feel to it, and attempted to play it off as it was a movie being filmed, which made it seem different than what I had previously studied. I will admit I was confused at some points, but I have never laughed so much at an opera, so I would definitely give it an A+.

Alright here it is guys, the moment you’ve been waiting for, answering the question of why I was in the hospital! So, let’s start from the beginning. Or not exactly the beginning, but in the beginning of where I start this story. We have spent a long time  in Europe going to different places, non stop and always moving. Maybe my body had enough of it and I shut down. Maybe my past medical history started affecting me. Or maybe it was just a random event. But, in Salzburg, on one of the last days, I started getting migraines, and even passing out. But the biggest incident was me passing out right after the opera. Fortunately, I had a lot of supportive friends with me. Unfortunately, none of those friends were with me when I woke up, due to the amount of “helpful” locals that took it upon themselves to surround me and just honestly stress me out more. As I explained to them that I was fine, they once again decided to be “helpful” and call an ambulance. Much to my liking, and with a little help from my friends, I managed to get out of going to the hospital, this time.

I went through the rest of Salzburg okay, not having any issues, and I traveled to Vienna, supposedly putting this behind me. I called for a doctor to visit me at the hostel, hoping she would just shine a light in my eye, testing for a possible minor concussion, as I did hit my head on the concrete. But, because I’m so lucky, she suggested I go to the hospital, just for a quick checkup. Im laughing as I write that, because the word “quick” is much different in Austria than I generally assume it is. As I got in the ambulance, I was lucky enough to have the company of my wonderful professor Edo Powell. For the next 7 hours, I went through test after test, sitting and waiting, and possibly seeing a dead person (still unconfirmed, probably will not be reading the Austrian obituary, so we can drop that). Anyway, after 7 hours of sitting in the hospital, bored beyond belief, I found out that everything was perfectly fine. Blood tests came out normal, CT scan came out normal, every other test came out normal.... surprise surprise. It was a great experience, I highly suggest going to a foreign hospital, it’s really fun not knowing what anyone is saying, or where to go, or what to do. There was no WiFi, so that made the experience even better! Honestly, the experience was much easier having Powell there. His company was silent for most of the time. But we suffered together, and observed some weird things.

My suggestion for you, is that universal healthcare is a real good thing, but also a very busy concept. But, After that long day of just sitting in a hospital, I had a nice beer, and it made the evening a lot better. On the up and up! Just remember to seize the day, you never know when you’ll be stuck in a hospital. Really made me realize the importance of being thankful for the free time I had. Peace and love. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...