Sunday, February 4, 2018

Record Store Excursion: Part 4 & 5

Salzburg is a breathtakingly beautiful mountain town, but the tour guide was not wrong when she said it is very small city in comparison to the previous places we visited. When we split up to have our own adventures, it was still easy to run into folks from the J-term group. However, when there is a small town, there is a small chance of record stores. Four options popped up when I searched on my phone, but just like in Berlin, there were some stores that no longer existed in the same spots.
It was a pleasant sunny day when we walked through the home that Mozart was born in, so I did not want to waste my time standing around too long afterwards. It was an interesting place, but I have not looked too far into Mozart's music before this trip, so I did not take as long as others in the Mozart house. I ventured out on my own and figured I might as well check out the first record store, so I did not have to pressure anyone to go with me, haha. Walking around Salzburg in the sunlight was energizing and it was the first time that I explored on my own. It was fun to pretend I was in Europe by myself having my own adventure, geared up with my leather jacket and sunglasses and prepared to storm into any music store I saw. To get to the first store on my list, I had to cross the lock bridge. I loved seeing all the different shapes and colors of the locks and wondering which ones were the oldest. I was even considering adding my own lock, but a plain black combination lock just would not cut it. It ended up being a good thing I left early, because there were no records in sight at the shop! The store was actually full of sheet music, which is not really a bad thing but I was just salty that I was mislead. The only things of interest in there was sheet music for Chilly Gonzales' songs and a pencil with mini guitar on the end. There was also a John Lennon book, but as expected, it was all in German.


I tried once again to locate a record store, because I desperately wanted to complete my goal of visiting one in each city. Salzburg appeared to be more difficult for this purpose than I previously had thought, but it still is one of my favorite cities the class visited. Alex and I went out to search for "Jet Lag" records which (for once) existed in the correct location! Sadly, they did not open until 4:00pm, which is a pretty odd time to be opening. All I got for that store was a photo of the logo outside their window. The one and only Salzburg record store I stopped in was one found by accident. Alex pointed it out as we were walking by and I knew my goal was still reachable. Inside, there was a cool guitar made up of records, and a nifty lounge space upstairs for listening to records on upscale turntables. This record store was called "Musikladen."


Earlier that day, I was listening to the new Ty Segall album, "Freedom's Goblin" and I showed Caroline how much I loved the fuzzed out guitar sound that is characteristic of pretty much any garage rock band. That was my first time listening to the album in it's entirety, so when one of the new songs started playing over the speakers in Musikladen, my ears perked up. They were playing the new Ty Segall album that I was listening to just 5 hours earlier! I went up to one of the workers and asked if they had the vinyl of the album. Ignoring the cries of my wallet, I snatched up that record and Alex convinced me to buy it. It was probably the most expensive buy of the entire trip, but it felt like it was meant to be. I've seen Ty Segall in concert about 4 times, and it was the first band I crowd-surfed to, so I knew this album would be special. (even more special if I bought it in Salzburg) #noregrets. To make up for it, I also got a free Record Store Day magazine, which was outdated by a year, but also still worth it. It was fun to look at the German comics that I will have to translate later. I related to some of the illustrations for sure.😉


Fast forwarding to Vienna, this was also another city where I only had time for one record store. I remembered planning out all the ones I wanted to go to based off of reviews and pictures I searched at the beginning of the trip. I kept telling myself I would always have time to go back to them at the end of the trip, but I also forgot that we only had two days in Vienna before flying home. Whoops. On the last day, we had a group dinner at 5:00pm, so I could not be late for our "last supper." My pals and I spent a little too long in the Beethoven cafe drinking hot chocolate and eating chocolate cake (yes, it was a chocolate filled day) and before we knew it, it was already 4:30pm. Luckily, EMI music store was within a short walking distance so we settled on that one. It was too sterile looking, even with the graffiti on the second floor. I sensed something was missing...maybe it wasn't grungy enough...or there was a lack of incense...something was off. It also felt like they only carried artists that would be in the top 40 chart, which can be a bit boring at times. On the bright side, it was cool to see a grand piano on the third floor and various types of record players they were selling. One was super old-school, looking like a gramophone-style record player. Caroline and I both picked up booklets that featured different Beatles themed record players. Of course, my favorite was the George Harrison one 💗. So there you have it folks, this gal made it to 7 record stores on this European trip. Success 😎


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...