Saturday, February 3, 2018

Coming Back Home

Studying music and history in all of the places we have visited on this trip has been an incredible journey, full of laughter, surprise, and adventure. I’ve enjoyed going to so many concerts, and I feel very fortunate to have gone to see those performances. I never would have thought that I would get to see the Berlin Philharmonic, Vienna Philharmonic, and Czech Philharmonic all in less than a month. Many of the performances I have seen in Europe were truly inspiring, particularly those that involved chamber ensembles. I hope to achieve that level of constant communication and teamwork in my own experience of the chamber ensembles I am part of in the upcoming spring semester.

I have gained so many treasured memories over the course of travelling and exploring the cities we visited this month. I really enjoyed getting to experience the cultures of the places we visited, and I really learned a lot about the history and significance of the various palaces, opera houses, and concert halls. It was especially fulfilling to learn about the concert halls and performance programs before leaving for this trip, and then actually get to experience these performances in the same halls. I would definitely return to some of the places I’ve experienced, maybe in about ten years or so, if I can afford it. I also really appreciate trying new things, like sarcasm, and training in the art of unapologetically telling it like it is.


This class allowed me to meet people I never would have met if I hadn’t gone on this trip, and it has helped me connect even more with my colleagues from the music department. I’ve made lots of new friends, and I’m really glad I got to learn more about them. I am normally shy, but I feel a lot more confident now in my ability to connect with others, and I hope to continue to make new friends, as well as to strengthen the bonds I have with the people in my current social circle. I’m feeling ready to go home, see my family, and finally get to play my flute again, though I can’t really say that I’m enthused about getting back to all of the responsibilities I put on hold while I was gone. Looking forward, I have a busy few days before I go back to PLU. I have to get all of my school stuff ready and salvage what I can of my flute-playing ability after not touching my instrument for almost a month. However, as busy and hectic as life will be in the very near future, I look forward to going out with a bang in my last semester at PLU!



Opera house where we saw Abduction from the Seraglio




Paige's Memeface in Hohensalzburg Castle bed chamber



Paige, Kara, Rachel, Erika, and I had our names engraved on a lock! We attached it to a bridge. Best day ever.



Here's my name!




Paige and Philippe outside Mozart's birth home



Paige, Rachel, Erika, and Philippe ringing the doorbell outside Mozart's birth home





Me on the first day of Wind Ensemble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...