Friday, February 2, 2018

Bikes and the Berlin Wall

We spent so much time in Berlin that I feel it deserves to posts to be devoted to it, so in light of my early post this will take a much lighter tone, to show you all what I think is the true Berlin experience. Matt, Brett, and I all decided to rent bikes for a day a bike around Berlin, to try and get at least a small feel for this huge city. Our goal was to eventually end up at the East Side Gallery, a portion of the old Berlin Wall now devoted to artists and street artists to paint as they see fit. It was a ways away from where our group was staying in  Berlin so we thought that traveling there by bike would not only be the on of the simpler but more scenic ways of getting there.
Me and my Bike!
We started form the area near the Brandenburg gate where we rented our bike from the City Market for 5 euro for a 2 hr rental. After riding through the city, and stopping only a few times to check our map we made it to the east side gallery. When we arrived a feeling of joy began to sink into me as I took in the wall for what it had become. For I saw what used to be the physical manifestation of the "Iron Curtain" now turned into a beautiful collection of art not only form the east side community but form  around the world. Even though it is just a concrete wall in the end, but fact that it had changed from being separator of peoples into an art gallery that unites them, amazed me. For it was refreshing to see how much the wall changed from it's original use to this newfound one.
A part of the more "original" wall near the Topography of Terror museum. 
Part of the Wall from The East Side Gallery.
Afterwards we stopped at this amazing sushi place called Rice In (I would later end up eating there a total of three times during our six day stay in Berlin). But I had this amazing Onigiri that his the spot perfectly after riding all day on the bikes. If anyone plans on visiting Berlin anytime soon I would highly recommend stopping there at least once.
Amazing Tuna and Avocado Onigiri.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...