Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Most Inspiring Performance Ever

On the same day that we went to the concentration camp, we attended a performance featuring clarinetist Sabine Meyer, and the Alliage Quintet. It was my favorite performance so far! The performers were so expressive, and they had so much energy! The communication among the performers was spot-on; it was obvious that each person had an extensive knowledge of the other parts with which they were interacting. In addition, the performers made eye contact with one another to increase musical communication, and really seemed to be having fun performing. It was one of the most engaging performances I have ever attended!

A couple of days later, we visited the Pergamon museum. I really enjoyed seeing all of the Mesopotamian artifacts. It was really cool to know that items that were built hundreds and hundreds of years ago are still available to view today. I don’t know how they were preserved for so long, but it’s really amazing to know that very ordinary items that were probably worthless when they were created are now priceless. My favorite part of the museum was seeing the Ishtar Gate, with all of its blue glazed bricks. I remember that pictures of it were included in my sixth-grade history textbook, back when I studied Mesopotamian history, so I really enjoyed getting to see the real thing for myself.


I also got to see the museum’s Aleppo room, featuring Islamic artwork from Aleppo, Syria. It’s so intricate, and beautiful. It’s really sad that much of Aleppo’s historical artifacts were destroyed by war in recent years. Aleppo once had one of the most well-preserved historical sites in the world. I really enjoyed seeing other artifacts in the Islamic art exhibit as well. It is really cool that those artifacts were preserved so well over the years. I thought it was particularly interesting that elements of Chinese art appeared in forms that were so similar to the original Chinese styles.  I thought that the dragon and phoenix motifs featured on various plates seemed very true to their source material, as opposed to being lightly based on Chinese art.



Concert hall where Sabine Meyer and Alliage Quintet performed





Ishtar Gate of Babylon at the Pergamon Museum






Aleppo Room at the Pergamon Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...