Thursday, February 1, 2018

Birthday in Salzburg

     I turned 20 in Europe! We happened to be in Salzburg over the date for Mozart week. We started off the day by visiting Mozart's birth house. Once the group split off I went and treated myself to a coffee and my favorite snack from Europe- a doner kebap (these are literally the best things ever... chicken shaved off of a spinning rod stuffed into a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, and yogurt (spicy is optional)). We walked around and sat outside in the sun on the other side of the lock bridge. It was by far one of the most beautiful days I've experienced on the trip. We went to visit the crypts under the church- there was a really cool room with shadow dancers. The room was set pretty dark with a witch spinning flying in circles around the cave. There was also a line of dancing skeletons that were portrayed very largely on the wall from the light of the candles. We later went to see an opera called "The Abduction of Seraglio" which was by far my favorite of the trip. It was a modern take of Mozart's work with lots of comedic relief and beautiful singing. 


     The night ended up being cut pretty short so we decided to extend the celebrations a little bit into the next day with coffee and cake and a walk up to the monastery, with the second most beautiful view in Salzburg. 


     I wouldn't have wanted to spend my birthday any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...