Sunday, February 4, 2018

Salzburg: Mountains and Mozart

It took me until the second day of Salzburg to have the full weight of this month hit me. We had just climbed up the large hill in the city to reach the Hohensalzburg Fortress and I was standing at one of the viewpoints along the castle looking at the mountains. This was the first full, blue sky, warm sunny day we had all month. There was something about the combination of the glorious weather and the absolutely astounding view (so pictures below for evidence) that made me stop completely for the first time and go, "Wow. This is my life right now."


Salzburg was delightful. It was surprisingly rejuvenating after the emotionally exhausting week of heavy history in Berlin. The city is relatively small, easy to get around, did not have an overwhelming amount of things to do. By the middle of our second day there, I had already checked off everything I had wanted to see there, leaving more time for coffee and cake breaks and hiking up various parts of the hills for the best views of the mountains (I took Sound of Music seriously when they told me to climb every mountain). I enjoyed the Hohensalzburg Fortress the most. This castle was home to the ruling Prince Archbishops of Salzburg beginning in 1077 and boasts incredible views of the city.
Hohensalzburg Fortress

The music in Salzburg was really great as well. We arrived on Mozart's birthday just in time for Mozart Week, one of Salzburg's main music festivals. I listened to more Mozart than I ever have before in the four days we were there! By far the coolest thing we saw was the performing of Mozart's pieces on replicas of the instruments that would have been around in his day. I still don't think I can fully grasp how amazing it was that I heard Mozart's works they way he would have heard them when they were played for him.

Overall, I loved Salzburg. Great views, great music, great food. Can't wait to go back again someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...