Sunday, February 4, 2018

Boop

So, Salzburg. A pretty city surrounded by vistas and mountains aplenty, with history and gusto to match. With churches and old architecture dominating the landscape, it’s hard not to appreciate why the“Sound of Music” was shot here, with pristine old buildings cheaper by the dozen surrounding the picturesque Salzach river. Despite the steep prices of the city, it was quite amenable and affordable to eat here, especially considering some of the best Doner Kebap in Europe can be found here. I’m not sure what it was, but the veggies were fresh, the meat perfect, and the bread perfectly toasted. If there was one thing I could shout about in Salzburg, it would be the presence of delicious food everywhere, Doner Kebap, Wurst, Sacher Torte, Mozart Kuegel, too many things to count.

Another amazing thing about Salzburg was the thought and detail that went into the design of everybuilding, one really good example of this was when we viewed a statue of the Virgin Mary that, when approached from the right angle, would appear to have a crown placed on her head by angels. Every building seemed to have some form of artwork or sculpting upon it, except only the more modern ones. The cafes and the restaurants all advertised themselves with pride with brightly colored and intricate signs, all of them wooden or iron or paint upon stone.

Salzburg‘s most interesting thing however, was the ever looming and immense presence of Hohensalzburg Castle, which is situated in the middle of the city, on the top of a mountain, with massive walls that had sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. With towers and ramparts galore, this massive citadel stands as the most intact fortress of its kind. I may or may not have gotten lost here, wandered into an active construction zone, got yelled at by Italian people, made friends with some British people, then stumbled back down the mountain while the rest of my group was on a tour.

However, Salzburg was not too kind to me, I slid and hurt myself, had bounds of stomach problems, had no small number of times I got lost, and got bit by a dog. So fun times. I did have one great moment though, being able to buy my grandmother a MI Hummel figurine, which, if she’s reading this, spoiler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...