Saturday, February 3, 2018

I Just Have Pictures of Mountains

Upon arrival in the charming town of Salzburg, Austria, I was sure I was already going to enjoy my stay here. The view from my hostel window consisted of a medieval castle and giant mountains in the distance. This was the first time in our travels this month where I had seen mountains that even remotely reminded me of Montana. And boy, did these mountains impress. Walking around that evening, I could already feel the quiet city center, fresh air, and especially the mountains making me feel better. Which was nice because at this point in the trip, I was feeling the effects of traveling from city to city and walking every day for a literal month.
View of the mountains from the castle
We arrived in Salzburg on Mozart's birthday (January 27th) and saw our first concert in the city that evening. Second time though, for seeing the Vienna Philharmonic. And
View of the mountains from the rampart walls
they were just as good as the time before. Seeing concerts this week in Salzburg -for the Mozart week -was something really special that was not lost on me. We saw amazing musicians play the music written by Mozart in his hometown in honor of his birthday. We even heard wind serenades in a hall founded by Mozart's son on period pieces made in the style that Mozart would have actually heard. And if that isn't a one of a kind experience, then I really don't know what is.
View of the castle from the city wall across the river
But going back to the castle: this castle is on top of ridge in the middle of the old town area of Salzburg and was basically impregnable. If the steep winding path didn't kill you on the way up, there  were plenty of traps and guards just waiting for you up at the top. So basically, no one was getting in to attack this castle. Around the castle area are rampart walls with an amazing view of the mountains again. Have I mentioned how amazing these mountains are? Please observe all the pictures as further proof of the beauty around Salzburg.
Sunrise overlooking Salzburg. Tomick convinced me it would be a good idea to get up at 6:30 in the morning to see the sun.  He was not wrong.
Last but certainly not least, I must talk about Mozart Chocolate. If you like marzipan, well then this is the chocolate for you. It chocolate, marzipan, pistachio, and more chocolate all wrapped into a truffle. Apparently, they were one of Mozart's favorite candies, and now they are one of mine (and everyone else who felt like they needed to try them because I wouldn't shut up about them since Vienna). I wonder what Mozart would think of the selling of this chocolate now? Courtney wonders if he -the famous complainer that he was -would even be happy with the Mozart festivals and Salzburg's popularity because of him. My guess is no.
Me, enjoying the sunny day. Photo credit and shoutout to Courtney for taking an awesome picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...