Friday, February 2, 2018

Forever Memories

Wow. What an amazing experience. I’m so thankful for PLU for providing me with the opportunity to explore so many different cities and countries. I will forever remember this experience. I also am so happy for how many new friends I have made on this trip and know that I will keep for a long time. We are a unique group and so much fun. 

Our group dinner tonight was representative of how close we’ve become. Our restaurant was a bit outside of the city, and like the experts we’ve become, we navigated quite well. Two trains and one bus later we had arrived with little to no problems. We arrived and they gave us our own separate room to have dinner in. This was probably because we can all get a bit loud at times. The restaurant is near a winery and wine is their specialty, so of course each table got many large bottles of wine to share. The food was served as a buffet and it was delicious. It was traditional Austrian schnitzel, sausage, and potatoes, an excellent way to finish the trip. For dessert, apple strudel, which to be honest I’ve gotten a bit tired of. 

Earlier in the day we all visited the State Art History Museum of Vienna. The picture gallery alone could have taken more than 5 hours to look through the entirety. That doesn’t even touch the East Asian, Egyptian, and Gold exhibits. My friends and I decided to limit ourselves to two hours. At the end of those two hours, Jeff and I were rushing to get through one last exhibit, every other step we would stop to take a quick picture. Every piece of art was amazing, I especially found the small modern art room interesting. There were only a few pieces but some of them were really fascinating while others were quite weird. After the museum, we found a quick lunch at one of my favorite quick food places in Vienna, Der Mann. It’s a small and frequent little store with pastries and sandwiches, but quite good and inexpensive. 

I wasn’t feeling too good today as I’ve continued to deal with this bad cold, but that didn’t stop us from having one last Mozart coffee! Mozart coffee has whipped cream, an espresso shot, hot cocoa, and a small amount of Mozart liquor. It’s really good! 

Today was definitely a final day of European food so we had to take advantage! 

There were days that were stressful, long, tiring, and days I was sick, but this trip has been so much fun and I have learned so much about the culture here, and of course music. I definitely don’t want to leave Europe tomorrow. I learned more on this trip about music than I ever thought I would. Attending each concert and then listening to my classmates talk about it, is an amazing way to learn. I’m leaving Europe with a greater classical music appreciation. Once again I’m so thankful for every single person who has been on this trip with me! Thanks for giving me something to remember for years to come.

Love,
Darby 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...