Friday, February 2, 2018

LEIPZIG BABY

Hey guys Biertrinker here. This post will be one of my more, simpler posts. I'd like to apologize just for the fact that the visit to Leipzig was around 2 weeks ago. But I will let you in on my favorite part of the journey in Leipzig. Here we go.

Leipzig is small, to say the least. Everything that we needed to go to was at most a 10-15 minute walk. It was actually pretty nice. Not that I’m lazy or anything, well, I kind of am. But it was definitely a change from the likes of Vienna and Prague, where transit was necessary. For performances in Leipzig, I was lucky enough to see Gewandhaus Orchestra perform at, surprise surprise, the Gewandhaus, and then also a motet performed by the St. Thomas boys choir. We also got to join in on a liturgical service which was accompanied by the same choir.


At first, I was going to talk about it all, each performance in depth with my thoughts on them, but I kinda just want to talk about one. This performance was the first that we saw, the Gewandhaus Orchestra. So, getting a little personal, my Grandpa passed away in August right before school started. This would be a very tough loss for anyone, and it was for me as well, but the matter of fact of his passing had not truly hit me yet. Until this orchestra performed. Emotions are a funny thing, you never know when they will come, or how they will be projected, or what will trigger them. My Grandpa loved music, and would’ve loved to be able to see everything I have seen. For some reason, I was listening to this orchestra play, and I was overcome with emotions. I was not necessarily sad, I wasn’t exactly happy. It was more of a feeling of closure and understanding that I was here because of my grandpa, and partially for him. I didn’t know the piece I was hearing, I didn’t know who the composer was at first, or who was conducting, but what I did know was that my Grandpa would have been 110% invested into this performance, just as I was.


I’m not going to speak critically of this performance, because all I have to say about it is that it helped me accept what happened and it made me realize that this class was so much more than a couple of concerts. This is why music is important. It brings out the emotions that you can’t always show on your own. Each piece speaks a thousand words that you want to say but can’t put into full sentences. That performance did this for me. It allowed me to feel something deeper than just the chords I was hearing. I love music, and I always try to get the deeper meaning, but this performance especially gave me the closure I needed.


This blog post was a lot different than I would normally post, but I think I wanted to share this experience because it really defines what this trip is all about. I’m really happy I got to enjoy this concert to its deepest meaning. I wish I could’ve gone home after this and talked to my Grandpa, but he knew I was going to enjoy this, and I really have. Thanks for listening. Next post you’ll get to hear about Salzburg and my great and exciting journey to an Austrian hospital. Peace and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...