Monday, January 29, 2018

A lighter time and fare

Following the storm clouds of the first few days in Berlin, we explored the rich and cultured history of this old and beautiful country. We traveled to Wittenberg, filled with many a beautiful old building and an interesting story around every corner. We saw the places where the Protestant Reformation was sparked and grew into a flame. We found a printer, doing things the old way, setting print by hand. His face was old and leather-like, his demeanor happy and bright, his apron covered in an sooty blight, his hands, though as old as he was, seemed to bear a youthful and vigorous might. This printer, who intrigued me so was an object of time, his shoulders hunched from making work so fine, when we made our purchases his eyes shined, the experience over, we made our goodbyes. His shop was filled with cards and portraits and sayings of Luther, many of which raised a laugh amongst our group. I myself found some postcards to bring home. After a long and complete tour, we were sat down to a very confusing lunch. Some of us needed Vegan, Some of is needed Vegetarian, Some of us wanted Chicken, and Some of us wanted pork. However, the waitresses just handed us plates expecting that we had remembered who had ordered what a few weeks ago. All of us were confused, and nothing was really accomplished in this regard until the end of lunch. In the meanwhile however, I held a staring contest with Aaron, which I won. I then took a gulp of the milk I had asked for, which apparently was caught on camera, and had since been known as victory milk. Needless to say, I was not in on the joke until Salzburg, because jokes fly over my head.  The day ended with us all waiting for a train that was late, so we finally arrived at 5:00, where we all found food and went to sleep.

The next day was action packed for me. The morning was filled with the Pergamon museum, and it’s beautiful reconstructions of Babylonian and Roman Architecture, art from all over the Muslim World, and artifacts from prehistory Assyria. After the museum, I traveled by public bus to the Mall of Berlin. Here I wandered and searched for Stieff, Food, and a Suitcase. I found all three of those things. I ate in the Food court there, which was hustling and bustling, where I had a Döner Kebap and good fries. I then found Steiff, which I discovered was vastly out of my price range. I then traveled to the lowest levels of the Mall, where I discovered a little store where I found a suitcase at 50% off. Good German make, with plenty of room to stuff all of my clothes into. I then made the decision to call it quits before the concert that night. After a prolonged nap I did not intend to take I decided to be industrious and moved my items into the suitcase. That night, we traveled to see the Berlin Philharmonic. Which. Was. Outstanding. There is a reason they are considered one of the premier orchestras in the world. Dr Powell later pointed out to me that not a single mistake had been made in the first half of the concert.

Friday was quite an open day, so me and Carl took the opportunity to look through the Mall of Berlin again, this time finding souvenirs and gifts for family and friends and riding a slide. Which I have to admit, was really fun. The night was then preoccupied with the Ballet Jewels, which was beautiful. The first act, Emeralds, seemed stiff and slow flowing. But, the second act, Rubies was much more lovely and lively. The dancers seemed to glow with a youthful demeanor, as if they had been doing that dance all their lives, and this was the first time they had an audience. The night after was filled with drink and song shared with friends.

The majority of the 27th was filled with traveling and a short break in Munich. That evening most of us traveled and explored the city before the concert that night. However, I found myself at the top of a hill on a slippery patch, and proceeded to tumble and injure myself against a wall down below. I then limped my way back to the hostel and stayed there for the night. Apparently I missed out on a beautiful concert by the Vienna Philharmonic. Even so, I still have experienced so much of Europe that a single concert will not dampen my mood, or my resolve to enjoy this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...