Monday, January 15, 2018

Symphonie Fantastique

On Thursday we saw the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Gustavo Dudamel. They played Mahler 10 and Symphonie Fantastique so you know, it was okay. Not to mention the fact that it was in the Golden Hall so I guess that was cool.

In all seriousness though, I cannot believe how freaking amazing that concert was. I wish I was able to post about it sooner but I’ve been so busy running around I just haven’t found the time.
Symphonie Fantastique is one of my favorites pieces so to hear it played at such a high level with that much musically was mind blowing. The string bass section nailed it, especially during the Witch’s Sabbath. In my completely unbiased opinion, they were probably one of the best sections in the ensemble. That being said, the low brass section was face-meltingly good, particularly during the Dies Irae. By the time we got to the symphony we had already walked all day so I was dreading having to stand for the concert a little. However, by the time the symphony actually started I felt like I could have stood there all night.


The cherry on top of all of that would have to be the fact that I found and bought the full score to Symphonie Fantastique at the music store on Wednesday and was able to look it over the night before.

We’ve been in Prague for a couple of days now and I could have probably added to this post about how much fun it has been, but I felt the symphony deserved its own post. I'll make one about Prague once we leave and I find the time. Loving this trip so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...