Saturday, January 20, 2018

Freedom and a chance to experience Prague first hand.


 On our free day I woke up early a heard that Dr. Powell was going to take a group of people to go get some authentic Prague goods. Specifically the pashmina scarf shop he was raving about and this leather store he always goes to. We rode the subway to the the town center where we got off and walked down the open air market were we all got our own pashmina scarfs. And what a steal only 14 bucks for real Kashmir scarf! I haven't spent a day without wearing mine everyday since. After we all had a scarf in hand we fallowed Dr. Powell on a short walk to his favorite leather store, and as soon as I walked inside I was greeted by the sent of it. All that genuine leather, smelled amazing and even though I didn't end up buying anything I loved going there.
Dr. Powell's favorite Leather Store.
After the leather store I went back to the hostel to drop off my scarf and then I went to go meet up with Leah and Caroline at an old antique book store they ended up wander on into. As I walked inside I was greeted by the haphazard stacks of books from floor to ceiling and even the very air smelled of  old books. Leah ended up finding a stack of old postcards, were we all got a few cool ones. As we checked out the owner told us about each of the cards we bought, as some had writing on the backs of them. Of the two I got one had writing on it which from what the owner could translate to us was a from some little girl's uncle writing to her asking how she was doing and wishing her to get better so that she could come visit them in Prague. My other postcard was mint condition from 1928! A pre-WWII, pre-soviet Czech postcard which not only looks cool but is a piece of history in itself.
The Bookstore.

My vintage postcard from 1928.

The front side of my other postcard.

The backside with preserved handwriting.
Then we went next door to the record store and spent a few hour listening to some classics and some new stuff, too. In the end both Leah and Caroline picked up some vintage vinyl. Leah even got some of the records stores own "murch" and took home a t-shirt along with here vinyl.
The Record Shopee.
The day concluded with us all fallowing Tomick's idea and heading with him to go to a swing dance club. Thanks to Tomick's swing dancing experience he managed to give us all a quick crash course of the basics before we headed to the dance club. This quick crash course made all the difference, for everyone was on the dance floor at least once before the end of the night.  Overall, our free day in Prague allowed me to experience Prague as a part of it and I no longer felt like an foreigner looking in but as a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...