Saturday, January 27, 2018

Goodbye Berlin, Hello Salzburg



Berlin is amazing. Yesterday, our last day in the city, I went and explored the Olympic Stadium from 1936 on my own. I’ve seen a couple of movies about the 1936 olympics in Berlin before the breakout of WW2, my favorite being the movie Race. Race is about the athlete Jesse Owens and his life leading up to and during the Olympic Games of 1936. 

The stadium is on the outskirts of Berlin and took some time to get to but once you leave the U-Bahn station the stadium appears into view. It has a very striking appearance as its not bright or shiny but completely made of stone. It was misting a bit as I arrived at the station and the fog was really low giving it an eery feel. There were very few people touring the stadium which made it pretty cool as I had this massive stadium to myself. My favorite part was seeing the wall where all the winners of each event were carved into the stadium. It was really cool to see Owens, USA written up there. 

Last night we saw our last performance in Berlin and it was the Jewels Ballet. I loved it. I love almost all forms of dance but I had never seen a ballet like this. It was in three distinct parts, Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds. The Rubies act was the most unique ballet choreography that I have seen and I loved the piano concerto in this act. Overall it was one of my favorite performances. 

We’ve been in Europe for 3 weeks! It has gone so by so fast, we only have a week left. I’m not prepared to leave Europe so I’m really glad that we have Salzburg to explore before it’s time to go home. Salzburg is a really special place for me as many of my family members loved it here. I’m also a huge fan of the Sound or Music so I am looking forward to seeing a couple of places from the movie. At the moment we are on the train from Munich to Salzburg and I can see the Alps coming in to view. I’m very excited and can’t wait to tell everybody about it soon!

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...