Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Days of Reflection


The past two days have been those of reflection. Since arriving to Berlin, we have taken a break
from the intensive music study to looking at the history of Berlin.

The first day we did a long walking tour, that ended at the Topography of Terror. This is a

museum that explains the Nazi Party during World War II. I have grown up hearing of the
horrors of this war from my dad. Both of his parents lived in Poland during the invasion
of Poland in 1939. Then through their different stories, they eventually found their way to
the United States. However, this was not before experiencing the War. I have always
been interested in World War II and the Holocaust because of my family history.

Going through the Topography of Terror is a heavy experience. Reading the stories

of men and women who were responsible for the death of thousands is not a subject
to be taken lightly. I walked through the exhibit and kept my composure until the
section about the Invasion of Poland. Early in high school, I did a project on this event.
I even used my Great Uncle's writings or his experiences with the start of the war. When I got
to this section today, I just remembered everything I had read and all the family stories. I was
reminded of how lucky I am l be living where I am right now and that my Grandparents were
able to make it out of such a terrible situation. I sent my dad a few a photo from the exhibit. It was
the introduction to the Invasion of Poland. I sent this because it stated that Poland lost more
of its people to the Nazi than any other country.  This was something my dad had always told
me yet is something that is never really mentioned or taught in schools. He sent me a text back
saying "Your grandfather witnessed some of these executions. The smell of blood lasted
weeks, were his words." Learning about the Holocaust is hard and hearing a first hand
account of horrors from my grandfather makes it harder.

While it's hard and unpleasant to hear of such horrors, I'm glad for the opportunity

to visit the sights of such big historical events. This trip has been mostly light hearted
and musical fun. These past two days were the exception but will probably be what
I remember the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...