Monday, January 15, 2018

Prague Adventures




    We bid farewell to Vienna for the time being and hopped on our first Eurorail train to Prague. As my most anticipated city, I had high hopes for what it was going to be like. And Prague did not disappoint. In fact, it exceeded all my expectations. Prague definitely has a more historic feel to it than Vienna did and everywhere you look, you can see castles, church spires, bridges, and colorful buildings. A view of the city is something I don't think I would ever get tired of seeing.
    Upon our arrival, we attended a performance of the Czech Philharmonic at the Rudolfinum. We heard a piece by Antonín Dvorák and Symphony No. 10 by Shoshtakovich. Talking to the music majors on this trip and Dr. Powell allowed me to better understand the context of what the symphony was about.
    Day two of Prague included a rare daytime concert; a performance by the Benda Quartet, all string instruments. After getting slightly lost and confused -who knew there were two Lichtenstein Palaces? No one on this trip -we made it for the second half of the performance. I was lucky enough to have a front row seat, close enough for me to see the cellist's sheet music. Pictured below is the stage from my seat.
    After the concert, we took a walking tour of the Little Quarter of the city and Prague Castle. Inside the castle complex was St. Vitus Cathedral and it was astonishing. It was by far the largest cathedral I'd ever seen. The ceilings were so tall, it was freezing in there. And it had an organ that just may have beaten PLU's organ in terms of its splendor, and that is really saying something. Just to think that this gothic cathedral is still standing and still so important to this city had me awestruck.
    Within the Prague Castle area is a street referred to as "Golden Lane". It is said that alchemists once lived in these tiny houses and all they needed to turn metal into gold was in the street outside. Today the houses of "Golden Lane" are small shops dedicated to jewelry, handmade puppets, and Christmas ornaments. Additionally Franz Kafka lived on this street for a time; you can even buy his books in the house that he lived in. If given the opportunity, I would gladly live in this small blue house.
    And last, but certainly not least is a statue update. Courtney and have seen statues of Kafka, Dvorák, Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor (who funded the construction of the Charles Bridge), and the first president of the Czech Republic, Václav Havel. Courtney appears to be winning, as I failed to recognize Kafka, but neither of us is very good with our Czech historical figures.
I can't wait for more adventures in Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...