Thursday, January 25, 2018

Reflecting on the Concentration Camp

I first want to say I have no pictures for this post because I felt that this is a sensitive topic and should not be glorified (not that the other people posting about this are glorifying it, this is just how I feel). Going to Saschausen concentration camp was hard. This place has such a horrid history of violence, murder, and pure evil. But if found my feelings strange. I felt a sad for the thousands that suffered this evil, but I mainly felt anger for those that were part of the leadership of this camp. The SS and the other officers. I felt this rage of anger for the actions committed here by these people. No human is worth more, and no human is worth less than any other human. As I walked around, I tried to see what it looked like back when it was being used and all I saw was pain. Pain, separation, torture, death and suffering. This camp, like the others, I consider to be hell on Earth. Because of this, I promise to be different. I promise to stand up for the ones that need help. To stand in the way of those that try to oppress others. I will use all of my power and my music to help change the world. I want to end with two quotes that are relevent to this topic. The first from Leonard Bernstein and the second, one I wrote a few years ago. I hope that you will help me in changing the world. Thank you.

“This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.”


“This is why I believe in music. Not because it can affect or change the world, but because it can affect the people that can change the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...