Thursday, January 25, 2018

Berlin!!

I’m just gonna start this blog with the fact that I have developed a major appreciation for classical music in the last couple of weeks. This class has strengthened my knowledge in music so much just through speaking with my classmates and hearing the music live. It was a couple of days ago but two days in a row we saw the St. Thomas boys choir, they were spectacular. It is so impressive that kids this young go through the schooling and training that they do, and sound so good. I really loved hearing them sing.

 Yesterday we saw Sabine Meyer perform with a couple of other musicians and it was such a unique performance from what we have been seeing. It was really fun and entertaining. My favorite part was when they played a song from West Side Story as an encore. Tonight we saw the Berlin Philharmonic. It has really been interesting seeing the different violin concertos and tonight it was a piano concerto. The piano is probably one of my favorite instruments to listen to so I was very excited about this. I thought the performance was really good and I enjoyed watching the very dramatic pianist as well as the conductor, who looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself. 

The past couple of days have been so amazing. I loved Vienna, I thought it was going to be my favorite, and then Prague and Leipzig were my favorites but I think Berlin beats them all. The history here is so heavy but so interesting to learn about. I thought I understood the history but I don’t think you can completely get it until you’re at the memorials or at the camps. I’m so happy that we were able to visit the concentration camp because I think it’s an experience that you have to go through to keep learning and understanding. 

Today I visited the Pergamon Museum and was very excited to see the Ishtar Gate for the first time. I had learned all about the gate in the History of Western Art class I took last year. Next I visited the East Side Gallery which had the coolest murals I have ever seen. I also made sure to visit the Berlin Wall Memorial, as well as the New Synagogue since we had an open day. 

Tomorrow I am visiting the Olympic Stadium and I’m so excited!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...