Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Listening to the Benda Quartet the other day was so exciting! I really liked how the performers communicated so well with each other. I did not see a lot of eye contact among the members, but they were still so well coordinated with each other! I especially liked their ability to make dissonant, more-difficult-to-understand music sound expressive. I wish we had gotten to listen to the Haydn piece today, but I’m still glad we made it in time to hear the rest of the program.

So far, I’ve really enjoyed being in Prague. On the day I arrived, I had the chance to enjoy a performance of the Czech Philharmonic. The violin soloist was so virtuosic, that it seemed like he was playing all of those fast passages effortlessly. I especially liked his encore piece for solo violin. I thought that the violin did not play that loudly, but his sound completely permeated the hall. Everything he played was so clear! The second piece on the program was my personal favorite. It really sounded to me more like music from the wind ensemble repertoire than orchestral music because of the heavy emphasis on the winds, brass, and percussion. I noticed that the flute players and piccolo player blended their sounds so well, especially during the portions where the melody would trade off between the flutes and piccolo. They all matched their tone colors and intonation so well, and with such control, but also showed a lot of musical expression. Even when they were not all playing together, there was still a sense of expressive and technical unity among them.


During the day, we took a walking tour of Prague, and I got to see so many historical buildings, and learned the history of the city from various perspectives. I especially enjoyed going to the Lichtenstein Palace. I can’t believe I got to stand in front of the manuscript for Beethoven’s Eroica and Handel’s Creation Symphony! The church in that area was breathtaking. The elaborate detail in the architecture was so incredible! It is really amazing knowing that the churches and other buildings around the city are so old, some built in the 14th century. I think that it is especially mind-blowing because America doesn’t have any buildings as old as many of the ones in Europe. I have really enjoyed being in Prague and learning about its history as well as its music.



Martinu Hall, where the Benda Quartet performed





Lichtenstein Palace at night



The Astronomical Clock under construction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...