Saturday, January 20, 2018

Maybe Something About the Music Is Due (But first, pictures)

We have made it to our 3rd destination and are actually about to leave. Leipzig is by far my favorite destination so far. Don’t get me wrong, Vienna was beautiful, and Prague was so full of culture and life, but Leipzig I finally feel like I can breathe. Contrary to what I believed Leipzig would be like, it is honestly a small town, everything is within a 20 minute walk, and you can walk through everything here in about 2 hours. Because if it’s small size, it is much easier to take everything in and to really appreciate what we’re experiencing. I have taken more photos here than anywhere else, so those will be scattered in this post. There is a wall of graffiti that greets you as you leave the train station, and from what I can collect due to the pictures and inability to speak German, I think it is a protest for free speech rights? It is a massive wall and I could stare at it for days. The flower is from the Bach Museum garden, which was a nice, peaceful end to the tour we took and gave us a moment to breathe. The final photo is a picture of a university building, where the design is to imitate a falling church that used to stand in that spot. The round, rose window doesn't match up with the stones point below because it was from the last moments of the church falling, the glass is imitating breaking glass and the white stone is imitating smoke. It is an absolutely gorgeous and well thought out building, and I hope I can visit it again soon.
 I realize I haven't really written anything about the concerts, and I probably should have since this is a class about music. Recently we went to the Gewandhaus and watched them perform the Bruch Violin Concerto and Mahler 4. Absolutely stunning performance and by far my favorite one we've had this tour. I don't have pictures from our seats, but we were behind the orchestra and able to watch the conductor. This conductor was a fun guy and I loved watching him interact with the soloists and the ensemble. The pieces themselves were also amazing, and the ensemble moved in sync.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...