Saturday, January 20, 2018

Feelings in Praha (Prague)

I am so grateful to be on this trip. I assumed that I would have a great experience but you never really know until you go, or do, you know? As I’ve explained before, I’ve seen and done so much and I’ve cherished every moment of this trip so far, aside from the time I’ve spent trying to sleep while (supposedly Irish) men were being obnoxiously loud and banging on our doors. Although we are now in Leipzig, Germany, I want to use this post to talk about an experience in Prague. 

This past Sunday we went to the Lobkowicz mansion. Rather than have someone guide us through the mansion, we had our own audio guides and were able to go at our own pace as we walked through each room. About halfway through, most of us ended up in a room filled with old instruments (I want to say they are baroque instruments), as well as original works by Mozart and Beethoven; books and papers that the two famous musicians/composers actually touched. I also learned that Beethoven’s 5th was dedicated to Joseph Fratišek Maximilian, 7th Prince Lobowicz, and, was very surprised to learn that Beethoven's Eroica was originally dedicated to Napoleon, but he instead dedicated it to JFM.


The best part about being in that room, though, was watching Dr. Powell react to seeing original works that the two actually touched, seeing their actual handwriting and original composition of famous works that he’s learned and that the world has come to know so well. I am not a music major, and definitely do not have the connection to this trip or classical music that I’m sure Dr. Powell and other music majors have. However, seeing these myself as well was such a cool experience. I almost felt emotional in that room, seeing things that I would not have seen anywhere else and things that have now had such a huge affect on the world of music and the world as a whole. Given my own reaction, I could only imagine how others may have been feeling as well. It was truly amazing to see. Something a little less important in comparison, but also very cool, was seeing an instrument called the Lute! Although that is not our mascot (it’s a knight), it was fun to see anyway considering I have never actually seen a lute in person before. 


I am grateful to be on this trip not only because going to all of these countries and cities is amazing and I’ve found that I really do enjoy traveling, but because I get to experience something new, things I probably never would have had I not come on this trip, and I get to share awesome moments with other people. There is something really heartwarming when you see another person filled with so much joy and amazement, you can’t help but feel it yourself.

1) Sinfonia Eroica 
2) Manuscript score of part 3 of Handel's Messiah, arranged by Mozart
3) Lutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...