Thursday, January 18, 2018

Strive to be like the Strings

On January 13th we saw the Benda quartet which was my favorite concert we have seen to this date. I have never seen a professional string quartet play before and it was quite intense. Dr. Powell said before that string quartet performances were fairly intense anyway due to the movement and eye contact amongst the performers. Unfortunately we ended up being late and I didn't get in until after intermission. They played Mendelssohn’s string quartet in E minor and made the wait worth it. I also had a front row seat next to the cello player and a good view of his music which allowed me to follow along. This also gave me a good view of his bowing technique which I am unfamiliar with being a woodwind player since middle school. The real takeaway I got from this is bringing the same intensity and passion back to the saxophone quartet that I am apart of. I knew we lacked these skills already but after seeing what we can and should strive for it really brings it in perspective. Upon my return I hope I can help my fellow saxophone players strive to be more like the strings (which is a first for us).
Love from Prague
-Jeffery S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...