Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Obsessed, never!

Obsessed over what you ask? Well to my own amazement and probably to my moms as well….a book. I bought this book while in Berlin after our tour of the Saschausen concentration camp. The book is titled I Shall Live by Henry Orenstien and is a book I can't seem to put down. I was never much of a reader as a kid and still wouldn't identify as one now but this book is different. From the moment I've picked it up I have been invested and refuse to let myself read it unless my attention is 100% focused on each page. The book is a gripping tale that follows Henry and his family through WWII and five concentration camps. Henry's quick thinking during this time not only saves himself but his brothers while at the same time playing the greatest hoax ever pulled on high Nazi command including Heinrich Himmler. I have yet to reach this great hoax and I honestly can't wait until I do. I highly recommend this book and because of where I bought it and what it represents is also quite emotional. What happened under the Nazi regime and anti-semitism is absolutely horrific but these detailed accounts give us a look into the struggle of daily life and what it took to survive these horrific events. We need to educate ourselves and make sure that the mass extinction of humans or anything close to that never happens again.
Love from Berlin

-Jeffery Steehler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...