Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Loving Prague!

Prague is incredible. I’ve always said I want to live near the water, and the Vltava River goes straight through Prague. Prague is such a pretty city with the castle on the hill and the colorful buildings everywhere. It also helps that the food is delicious and the history fascinating. We took a walking tour on our first morning and explored the Old Town as well as Prague Castle. Prague Castle overlooks a great view of the city and the church within has the highest ceiling I’ve seen in a church. I really loved our tour of this area even though it was very, very cold. It took a very long time to warm up!

Other things that we have done in Prague is explore the Jewish Quarter. This was a very powerful experience as they have a building dedicated to all of the Czech Republic people who lost their lives during WW2. All of their names are listed on the walls with their families. Another room in the building holds the artwork of many of the children who lost their lives in camps during the war. Some of them are heartbreaking and it’s so crazy what these children experienced and how quickly they had to grow up. 

For our first concert here we went to the Prague Philharmonic with a violin soloist. I thought the performance was amazing and loved the violin soloist parts. I’m starting to realize more and more how much I love listening to the violin. I’ve actually loved all of the performances we’ve seen here. The opera, The Bartered Bride, was really entertaining. I would say the music wasn’t as good as I Puritani but the production was much more interesting and fun. The other concert we went to was the Benda Quartet. 

We had such a hard time finding the palace where they were performing but we finally found it.  It was interesting discussing this group and the first piece we heard from them. To me, the non music major, I thought that each of the four players didn’t mesh in the piece. I felt that the music each one played didn’t seem to fit together. After talking with some of the music majors I found that apparently this is a more modern sound. It was just very different from what I have previously heard. I loved hearing music from a smaller group of performers. 

Prague has been so amazing and I can’t wait to explore the n

ext city, Leipzig, Germany! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...