Tuesday, January 23, 2018

To review

Starting from last Sunday, we started our day exploring The Lobkowicz mansion, where we saw amazing displays of art and history, but perhaps the greatest part of the tour was the Music Room, where we saw Classical and Baroque instruments and original manuscripts by Mozart and Beethoven. Me and Carl went with a group up the hill to a beautiful vista overlooking Prague, then we hurried to a place called Staromestska, where we warmed up with Good food and plum brandy. We finished the evening with the opera The Bartered Bride, which was a bright and beautiful display of dance and song, and was a definite highlight of the trip.

I wish I could say I did something interesting on our free day, but laundry and duty called.

The 16th we traveled to the national gallery, where we took in many artifacts from the East, and art by Norbert Grund. A group of us including Dr Powell traveled to the Lennon wall, where I found a leather bag for myself😃. Afterwards, a few of us traveled to the yellow submarine pub for a quick lunch. Then it was a mad dash to meet up with everyone else for a river cruise through Prague. Once aboard, I had started making D&D characters for all comers. Much to my enjoyment. But, yet another successful day.

The 17th was mostly filled with travel between Prague and Leipzig. When we finally arrived we took some group photos by the ever picturesque Bach statue, and then dispersed. Me, Paige, and Kara all travels to a little cafe out of the way, where we had pizza, pasta, and the largest ice cream sundaes I’ve ever had the pleasure of consuming.

The 18th was a guided tour through Leipzig, with a concert that night in the Gewandhaus. That orchestra was the best one by far, yet through reputation alone, it makes me chill to know what might occur with the Berlin Philharmonic.

The 19th was an interesting one, the morning was filled with the exploration of the Bach museum, where we saw original portraits and glimpses into the life of Bach as Kapellmeister and Teacher in Leipzig. Afterwards, we were given some free time to explore the city, meeting that night at St Thomaskirche for Motettes, which were sung by the most angelic boys choir I have ever had the pleasure to hear. Dinner came immediately afterwards in the Bayerischer, where we were treated to an all you care to eat buffet of good German cuisine.

The 20th was our final day of Leipzig, as we filled it with wandering the Mendelssohn house, conducting its electronic orchestra, and exploring the life of both Felix and Fanny. Later I took in lunch at Zil’s Tunnel, which I tried the goulash and spätzle, which were heaped with an onion gravy that was divine. The evening was filled again with Motettes in St. Thomaskirche, and then dinner once more at the Cafe where we had gone on the first night.

That brings us to the 21st, which was once again a day filled with travel. In the station, my duffel bag became an item of sports equipment that everyone was using for weight and squats. Afterwards, I showed off my muscles doing straight arm lifts and farmer walking the luggage of myself and 3 others. Once on the train, I reclined and napped for the first time traveling on this trip. Once in Berlin, we found our hostel and prepared for another night of Opera. Unfortunately, our tickets were for the wrong day, so we were given free time. A few of us went to a pub named Belushi’s where we partook of some extremely economical and delicious food. Most of the class then moved to the Wombar in the hostel, where we proceeded to drink to forget the fact we would not be going to Don Giovanni.

All in all another successful few days. Here in Berlin I expect great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...