Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Deez Old Bones

After a long 30 hour day of travel and then a shorter day of exploring, the best way I can describe myself right now is tired! Let's back track in the trip to explain why I feel so tired and why the title of this blog post is talking about bones. 

We left SeaTac on Sunday and started out journey with a 10 hour flight to Germany. After that we got on another plane ride to Vienna. This will be my third time traveling to Europe and I know that I can't sleep on planes! By the time we got out of the airport, I wanted nothing more than to sleep but that was the worst thing to do. So I forced myself to stay up until that night. Here is are photos of some of us right off the plane refusing to show how tired we are! 




After checking into the Hostel, Erika and I set out to find a burner phone to use for emergencies. I have taken one semester of German. In this semester, I felt like I learnt a lot of grammar and not a lot of vocab so my ability to communicate is still very limited! After a long frustrating time with the phone, we figured it out and ended our day with a group dinner! It was great to sit around and get to know the rest of the class. There is such a wide variety of people here and it's great to hear of the different perspectives.  Thanks for a great night of conversation to those sitting with me that night!! 


Day 2!! 

Today we had a walking tour of the main part of Vienna! It was amazing to see all the old architecture and actually witness the sites of the city that all my friends have been telling me about! Seeing all the music history and German culture that I have learned about in my classes was such a surreal experience. During the free time, I went with some other student to take a tour of the Catacombs under the St. Petersburg Cathedral. There we walked around the underside of the Cathedral. We got to see many rooms that were the resting place of many Bishops. The last stop of the tour was a small room where they moved the moved bones to line the walls and form a room of bones! It became a joke between me and some other students that we felt as tired as those old bones. That phrase quickly turned into "deez old bones." 

We ended the day with our first concert of the trip. It was a beautiful performance and very relaxing. So relaxing, I felt myself starting to fall asleep. I felt bad, until I looked around and saw about 7 other classmates completely asleep. 

Overall I am loving my time here and can't wait to spend the rest of the month traveling! While I may be as tired as the "deez old bones" from earlier, my excitement will carry me through the rest of the trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...