Friday, January 12, 2018

When in Vienna... Get Lost!

Ever since we got here just four days ago I've learned one very important lesson: that it is often better to just get lost then have a plan for what you want to do. Vienna is a wonderful but huge city and as a result is ripe for adventure! I could have tried to stick with a bigger group as some of my classmates have done but instead I have decided to walk to the beat of my own drum, which I can say has worked out for me wonderfully! I want to share with the class as well as anyone else who stumbles upon this blog the fruit of my process so I can show you all just how much of a good idea it is to simply... Get Lost!
 I decided that while I was in Vienna I would fallow my motto: never walk the same way twice. So instead of going to the same restaurant or visiting the same part of town again and again I always tried to do something new. This led to some uniquely amazing experiences. On the second day of our time in Vienna Matt, Brett, Jeffery and I all walked the opposite way of the group and eventually happened upon a statue of Mozart! That wouldn't have encountered if didn't go of the beaten path.

Matt, Bret, me, and Jeffery at the Mozart Statue.
Then later that same night, we meet up again and walked quite far from the city center, and found our way to the Danube canal that runs through Vienna. We ended up walking along it until we stopped to take in the night air and the view at this riverside restaurant. Leading me to taking this amazing picture of a Vienna night on the canal.
A Vienna night on the canal.
However, the best experience I had was the result of me fallowing  Powell's advice of "trying ever door you can" because you will never know just whats behind it if you don't try it. As I walked downtown with Konner, Carl, and Rachel we walked by this church, which we would eventually find out was called St. Peter's Church, and decided to go inside just because. As we walked in we heard the church organ playing Bach, and as it echoed around the church it just magnified the magnificence of it. Everywhere you looked the was a new piece of divine beauty to get absorbed it. I eventually stopped taking pictures because I realized I could even attempt to capture the church's beauty much less the experience of it all. However, I before I reached this conclusion I took a picture of the magnificent instrument that created that awesome experience we all shared. Never was I so thankful of wandering into a random building.
The organ of St. Peter's Church.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...