Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Wonderful Way to Begin 2018


    Surreal. That is the best way to describe my feelings over the past couple of days. After a long journey Sunday afternoon that somehow landed us in Vienna at noon the next day, I officially began my month-long European musical adventure. 
    Despite having had time to explore the city Monday afternoon, it didn't quite feel like I had even left Tacoma. It wasn't until Tuesday morning when I found myself staring up at Stephensdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral) did it hit me that I was once again in Europe. And Vienna, no less! Walking down the narrow and cobbled streets brought back memories of just how much I love European cities and the history that is held within these cities. 
    Tuesday was filled with walking, churches, and more walking. I forgot just how sore my feet could be after one day. Courtney and I started a game that we have decided needs to be played in every city we visit this month: Guess That Statue! On the list so far has been Gutenberg, Empress Maria Theresia (Maria Theresa), and Dr. Karl Renner. Updates will follow as more statues are encountered.
    Wednesday started with a visit to the graves of some famous composers in what had to be the biggest cemetery I'd ever seen. The middle of the day was devoted to The Belvedere and Gustav Klimt. A visit to the art museum is a perfect way to avoid the rain outside. 'The Rose Picker' by Anton Romako was easily my favorite painting there. The evening ended with a chance to dress up and watching a performance of I puritani. What a wonderful experience this has been so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...