Thursday, January 11, 2018

Opera is Terrifying, Buildings are Amazing, Pigeons are Lovely


Vienna is coming to a close and Prague is just around the corner, so an update may be necessary to close off the first time in Vienna.
To get the “important stuff” out first, the concerts here are absolutely lovely. So far our concerts have been a choral focus (oh don’t worry, the Vienna Phil and Dudamel will get a separate post on their own because I am shook), so while I may not understand the intricacies of their performance quite as well as our choral members, I do appreciate the music making that I have been able to witness and listen to a great deal. Particularly, when we went to the opera on Wednesday night, I realized just how powerful opera singers are. The hall was absolutely massive, I was in the “nosebleeds” and I could hear the main cast clear as day, as if they were right next to me, WITH NO MICS. I am now terrified of my peers back home whose main focus is opera because I am pretty sure they could kill me with their voice.
Outside of the music, my little group I have been spending time with have been exploring the backroads of Vienna, which is staggering at moments. One moment you have a regular cobblestone street, quiet as can be and then you turn the corner and St. Stephen’s Cathedral is just in your face along with the hustle and bustle of the main city center. I absolutely cannot believe that the locals are used to seeing the Cathedral everyday. This piece of history and intricately carved stone has so many little details that you could actually find something new each visit and never repeat sections.
Another part of my trip, and kind of a joke between my small group and I, is my obsession with the pigeons. I have taken more than enough photos of the pigeons just around the city, and Paige has taken photos of me being extra excited about the pigeons. I’ll let the following photos explain themselves.




1 comment:

  1. Love your photo!!! Vienna is lovely, even in the rain! You will find Prague gorgeous! Take a photo on the Charles Bridge. Marvel at the different platz and the lovely old buildings surrounding them. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Why did it have to end?!?

I'm sad that the trip has come to an end because I truly had the time of my life. Never in my life did I think that I would travel to Eu...